[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> It seems that the tape is written incorrectly. I wrote some large file
> (300MB)
> and read it back four time. The read copies are all the same. They differ
> from the original only in 32 consecutive bytes (the replaced values SEEM
> random). Of course, 32 bytes in 300MB tar.gz files are TOO MUCH to be
> accepted :)

Several years ago I ran into a problem with similar symptoms on an old
Adaptec AHA-154X controller.  Files (and most certainly "file systems"
if I had persisted) on my hard disk were getting corrupted in random
places with constant length strings of garbage.  This turned out to be
an inappropriate setting for the AHA1542_SCATTER constant: it *was* 16,
and setting it to 8 fixed my problem.  I'd look for a similar "#define"
in the header file for your SCSI device driver and try cutting the value
by half.  Why "half"?  No justification other than it worked for me, and
it's a power-of-two kind of thing that hardware seems to like :-).

--Bob