> So you've spent almost $200 for RAM, and refuse to spend $4 for 1Gb of
> swap space. Fine with me.

I put this much ram into the system to keep from having swap.  I still say
swap=2x ram is a stupid idea.  I fail to see the logic in that.  Disk is
much much slower than ram and if you're writing all ram to disk that's also
slow.

I have a machine with 256mb of ram and no disk.  It runs just fine w/o swap.
Only reason I even had swap here is if I ran something that used up all my
memory and it has happened.

Since when has linux started to be like windows "our way or no way"?