On 28.04.2013 17:56, Linus Torvalds wrote:

I'm not sure if it is supported, but building with a O= -directory that
was previously used to build a 3.8.9-kernel that was "clean"ed (but not
"mrproper"ed) before building 3.9 results in a build-failure:
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`/xssd/usr_src/ko/leeloo/include/config/hz.h', needed by `kernel/hz.bc'.  Stop.

After deleting everything in the KBUILD_OUTPUT-directory, except the
.config-file, the kernel-build worked again.

At least in the past a "clean" seamed to be enough. I had a file with a
2.6.39-name inside, so it seams i have build my kernels this way for the
last few releases.

--

Matthias