Ok, so appending agp_try_unsupported at boot gets the agp working (at least
tolerably).  The problem now appears to be with the DRI part of X/Radeon driver,
because after adding the line:
Option "noaccel" "true"
to my XF86Config, all is well.

Without it all that shows up on the screen is a bunch of boxes, from which you are
then forced to C-A-Backspace, and C-A-Del, since the terminal is screwed.  So as long
as I don't need 3D-accel, I'm once again Winblows free.  Thank-you all for the
attention :-)

Josh