* Dave Hansen <d...@sr71.net> wrote:

> On 07/22/2013 03:06 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Btw., would be nice to also integrate these VM counters into perf as well,
> > as an instrumentation variant/option.
> >
> > It could be done in an almost zero overhead fashion using jump-labels I
> > think.
> >
> > [ Just in case someone is bored to death and is looking for an interesting
> >   side project ;-) ]
>
> I'd actually been thinking about making them in to tracepoints, but the
> tracepoint macros seem to create #include messes if you try to use them
> in very common headers.
>
> Agree it would be an interesting side project, though. :)

Yes, tracepoints was what I was thinking about, it would allow easy
integration into perf [and it's useful even without any userspace side] -
as long as:

 - the tracepoints trace the counts/sums, not just the events themselves
 - when the tracepoints are not active the VM counts are still maintained
   separately

I.e. the existing VM counts and its extraction facilities are not impacted
in any way, just a new channel of instrumentation is provided -
jump-label/static-key optimized by virtue of being tracepoints.

Thanks,

        Ingo