On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Mark Brown <broo...@kernel.org> wrote:
> I know there's been some discussion of this topic but do we have any
> general consensus on how to handle such things both from a Linux driver
> model point of view and from a DT/ACPI point of view?

There is precedence for describing enumerated device in the device
tree. Real OpenFirmware platforms can and will enumerate the PCI and
USB busses and pass a full tree to the OS. I don't think we want to
full enumerating like that with either ACPI or FDT, but we could allow
for sparse population of devices when something is fixed like a
soldered down USB hub or USB Ethernet MAC.

To make it work would probably require a hook in the USB enumeration
path to look for matching nodes in DT/ACPI and attach it to the struct
device.

g.