Sebastian,

El 25/01/14 18:44, Sebastian Hesselbarth escribió:
On 01/25/2014 10:32 PM, Emilio López wrote:
El 25/01/14 15:19, Sebastian Hesselbarth escribió:
This patch set fixes clk init order that went upside-down with
v3.14. I haven't really investigated what caused this, but I assume
it is related with DT node reordering by addresses.

The framework should be able to deal with unordered registration. I am
not very familiar with the mvebu driver though, do you have a valid
reason to require a specific order?

Emilio,

I rather think that everthing registered with CLK_OF_DECLARE cannot
deal with unordered registration. The callback passed to CLK_OF_DECLARE
has to have void as return value, so there is no way to pass errors,
e.g. -EPROBE_DEFER, back to of_clk_init.

Indeed. What I meant is that the framework works fine if you first register a child clock that refers to a not yet registered parent, and then register the parent. The registration need not be strictly ordered.

The reason for this ordering is that the clock gates depend on core
clocks. It is always that way, so merging both init functions isn't
that odd.

If your only dependency is the parent name, and you can use DT or something else to get it, then you don't need to enforce an order.

Anyway, with v3.14 for MVEBU SoCs, the clock gating driver gets
registered before core clocks driver. Unfortunately, we cannot
return -EPROBE_DEFER in drivers initialized by clk_of_init.

Why would you need to do so? After a quick inspection on the code, I see
you may have problems on mvebu_clk_gating_setup() when getting the
default parent clock name, but I believe you could solve it in an easier
way by using of_clk_get_parent_name().

Ok, I'll look if using of_clk_get_parent_name will help here. But again,
I can see that clk-gating driver gets registered before core-clk driver.
There may be no code to give you the parent name at that time.

After looking at some of the armada*.dtsi, I see you don't list the clock names on the coreclk node, so of_clk_get_parent_name may not be of much value after all.

Cheers,

Emilio