Terje FÃberg wrote:
Terje FÃberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev:

The kernel is compiling right now, but I cannot reboot this machine until six or seven o'clock
tonight (CET). I will report then.

Well, well, I rebooted the same kernel, now with
MAGIC-SYSRQ enabled.  At first the kswapd-effect
wouldn't show up, but now the image is much clearer
than before. kswapd eats constantly 95% cpu time while
the system is "idle".

The System is quite sluggish. Switching between
applications needs ages. After Eclipse has been active
for a few minutes, I it lasts 45 seconds until enough
of Mozilla is swapped back in, and Mozilla has redrawn
its window.

Complete info including SysRq-Meminfo is attached.

Thanks very much, this is a good help.

galileo:~# cat /proc/vmstat > pre ; sleep 10 ; cat /proc/vmstat > post

galileo:~# cat pre
pgscan_kswapd_high 0
pgscan_kswapd_normal 2504667
pgscan_kswapd_dma 615532032

galileo:~# cat post
pgscan_kswapd_high 0
pgscan_kswapd_normal 2504667
pgscan_kswapd_dma 649881006

So we can see it is trying to scan the DMA zone.

galileo:~# dmesg [...]
SysRq : Show Memory
Mem-info:
DMA per-cpu:
cpu 0 hot: low 2, high 6, batch 1
cpu 0 cold: low 0, high 2, batch 1
Normal per-cpu:
cpu 0 hot: low 32, high 96, batch 16
cpu 0 cold: low 0, high 32, batch 16
HighMem per-cpu: empty

Free pages:        7872kB (0kB HighMem)
Active:48698 inactive:86241 dirty:0 writeback:0 unstable:0 free:1968 slab:4509
mapped:50560 pagetables:1717
DMA free:80kB min:80kB low:100kB high:120kB active:0kB inactive:11716kB
present:16384kB pages_scanned:123 all_unreclaimable? no
protections[]: 0 0 0

This is the reason why: DMA only has 80K free, and kswapd won't stop until either 120K is free, or all_unreclaimable gets switched on.

Now clearly all_unreclaimable should be getting set if nothing can be reclaimed
(although
it is possible that non pagecache allocating and freeing can mess it up, that's
unlikely).

Hmm, your DMA zone has no active pages, and pages_scanned (which triggers
all_unreclaimable)
is only incremented when scanning the active list. But I wonder, if the pages
can't be
freed, why aren't they being put on the active list?

Nick

PS. let's not release 2.6.11 just yet :\