On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 09:55 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
[...]
> The init-script dependencies are specifies already - at least on debian.

These are not dependencies but "only" the sequence of startup (and it is
not only Debian but also Fedora/RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake and probably all
except Gentoo).
Yuo get a much stricter ordering and sorting (and thus much simpler to
implement in a shell script).

> Look at the most used runlevel, ls /etc/rc2.d:
>
> S10sysklogd@
> S11klogd
> S14ppp
> S18portmap
> S19slapd
> S20alsa
> S20cupsys
> S20dhcp3-server
> S20exim
> The numbers specify ordering constraint, low numbers must start before
> high numbers.
> But plenty of scripts have no interdependencies, I have 18 scripts
> numbered S20.

This would be a win (especially if the numbers are tweked to tune this)
with a relatively small effort.
However for real dependencies and parallelism you want the info similar
to creat a Makefile from it (i.e. the explicit dependency from service X
to service Y). As a consequence you can get rid of the numbers (since
they are not needed any more).

        Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services