I can't see how this relates to Julius patch though, and I'm not sure yet why it
only triggers when devices are connected to SS ports. Maybe just unlucky timing?

I think the non-SS ports are connected to the EHCI controllers rather
than the XHCI controllers. So that explains at least one detail. And I
guess timing is as good an excuse as any why this gets exposed by the
patch in question.

That's right, sometimes I forget that there exists something else than xHCI.

Does this help?:

Indeed it does. The machine just survived a dozen or so suspend+resume
cycles without a hitch. The bug was 100% reproducible on this machine,
so the fix seems solid.

Tested-by: Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrj...@linux.intel.com>

Great, a patch with your Tested-by tag pushed to my tree at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mnyman/xhci.git for-usb-linus

-Mathias