On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> And this can break as soon as the "unused" object files contains
> EXPORT_SYMBOL's.
>
> Is it really worth it doing it in this non-intuitive way?

I don't think it non-intuitive, it's how libraries work. However, as you
say, it is broken for files containing EXPORT_SYMBOL.

The obvious fix for this case is the one that akpm mentioned way earlier
in this thread, move parser.o into $(obj-y).

It should be rather easy to have the kernel build system warn you when you
compile library objects exporting symbols.

--Kai