El Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:58:53 +0200,
Matthias-Christian Ott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

> I disagree this is _not_ usefull. If the user don't knows what OOM means
> he can use google to get this information.

And google will take them to what random source of information? There's no
"official"
meaning of what OOM is outside the kernel.... And anyway, why shouldn't the
kernel tell
what's happening? That printk is not exactly a fifty-page explanation, it just
says "your
system has run out of memory" instead of "OOM", which is what it's really
happening and
it's not verbose at all, and it doesn't scare users.

OOM doesn't prints just those messages, if prints a lot of "debugging info"
about the state
of the memory subsystem, I've found people in usenet who reboots their systems
when
they see that because they think it's a critical failure or something - and
looking at how it's
printed, I don't blame them. This is the reason why I submitted this patch.

(and I'd have added a "look at Documentation/oom.txt", but there's zero
documentation of
what OOM is, what are the causes of it, tips of how to find apps triggering it
and tips to fix
it, and I'm not the right person to write it, so...)