>  (b) while I depend on the fact that if the SHA of an object matches, the
>      objects are the same, I generally try to avoid the reverse
>      dependency.

It might be a valid point that you want to leave the door open to using
a different (than SHA1) digest.  (So this means you going to store it
as an ASCII string, right?)

But I don't see how that applies here.  Any optimization that avoids
rereading old versions if the digests match will never trigger on the
day you change digests.  No problem here - you doomed to reread the old
version in any case.

Either you got your logic backwards, or I need another cup of coffee.

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...
                  Programmer, Linux Scalability