On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> DL> just wanted to point out that recent news shows that sha1 isn't as
> DL> good as it was thought to be (far easier to deliberatly create
> DL> collisions then it should be)
>
> I suspect there is no need to do so...

It's possible to generate another object with the same hash, but:
 - you can't just take your desired object and do magic to make it hash
   right
 - it may not have the same length (almost certainly)
 - it's still non-trivial in terms of computation needed

>   From: Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   Subject: Re: Kernel SCM saga..
>   Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:16:22 -0700 (PDT)

>                   Linus
>
>   (*) yeah, yeah, I know about the current theoretical case, and I don't
>   care. Not only is it theoretical, the way my objects are packed you'd have
>   to not just generate the same SHA1 for it, it would have to _also_ still
>   be a valid zlib object _and_ get the header to match the "type + length"
>   of object part. IOW, the object validity checks are actually even stricter
>   than just "sha1 matches".
>
> -

bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc