I see. It just need some basic set operation (+, -, and)
and some way to select a set:

      sha5--->
     /
    /
sha1-->sha2-->sha3--
   \        /
    \      /
     >sha4

list sha1               # all the file list in changeset sha1
                        # {sha1}
list sha1,sha1          # same as above
list sha1,sha2          # all the file list in between changeset sha1
                        # and changeset sha2
                        # {sha1, sha2} in example
list sha1,sha3          # {sha1, sha2, sha3, sha4}

list sha1,any           # all the change set reachable from sha1.
                        {sha1, ... sha5, ...}

new      sha1,sha2      # all the new file add between in sha1, sha2 (+)
changed  sha1,sha2      # add the changed file between sha1, sha2   (>) (<)
deleted  sha1,sha2      # add the deleted file between sha1, sha2    (-)

before   time           # all the file before time
after    time           # all the file after time

So in my example, the file I want to delete is :

{list hack1, base}+ {list hack2, base} ... {list hack6, base} \
- [list official_merge, base ]

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 04:21:08PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > the official tree. It is more for my local version control.
>
> I have a plan. Namely to have a "list-needed" command, which you give one
> commit, and a flag implying how much "history" you want (*), and then it
> spits out all the sha1 files it needs for that history.
>
> Then you delete all the other ones from your SHA1 archive (easy enough to
> do efficiently by just sorting the two lists: the list of "needed" files
> and the list of "available" files).
>
> Script that, and call the command "prune-tree" or something like that, and
> you're all done.
>
> (*) The amount of history you want might be "none", which is to say that
> you don't want to go back in time, so you want _just_ the list of tree and
> blob objects associated with that commit.

That will be {list head}

> Or you might want a "linear"  history, which would be the longest path
> through the parent changesets to the root.

That will be {list head,root}

> Or you might want "all", which would follow all parents and all trees.

That will be {list any, root}

> Or you might want to prune the history tree by date - "give me all
> history, but cut it off when you hit a parent that was done more than 6
> months ago".

That is {after -6month }

> This "list-needed" thing is not just for pruning history either. If you
> have a local tree "x", and you want to figure out how much of it you need
> to send to somebody else who has an older tree "y", then what you'd do is
> basically "list-needed x" and remove the set of "list-needed y". That
> gives you the answer to the question "what's the minimum set of sha1 files
> I need to send to the other guy so that he can re-create my top-of-tree".

That is {list x, any} - {list y, any}

> My second plan is to make somebody else so fired up about the problem that
> I can just sit back and take patches. That's really what I'm best at.
> Sitting here, in the (rain) on the patio, drinking a foofy tropical drink,
> and pressing the "apply" button. Then I take all the credit for my
> incredible work.

Sounds like a good plan.

Chris