On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:02:55PM -0500, Franco Sensei wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >This has nothing to do with versioning.
> >
> >You are asking for ABI compatibility between different kernel versions.
>
> The problem is probably misunderstanding about what I intend by version.
>
> >There is no stable ABI between different kernel versions and there will
> >never be one. Please read Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt for
> >details.
>
> I've read it.
>
> Assuming the fact that a kernel can be considered stable, my point of
> view implies an assumption: kernel and modules are distributed by a
> distro, and compiled with the same gcc. Of course, I'm not talking about
> different architectures and so on, since I'm talking about something
> different, I'm talking about the api involved in the developement.
> Distributions have to use a great care about compiler changes, and it's
> not kernel developers' problem.
>
> A kernel stable 2.X  version should not differ much in the
> subversioning (2.X.a ~= 2.X.b). Changing APIs in the kernel can be

You say API but talk about ABI.

> possibly avoided by using a release versioning different from the one
> used now. Structues and exported functions should be almost the same,
> the implementation should be, and of course, must be different: bugs,
> improvements and so on.

You said you've read stable_api_nonsense.txt .

stable_api_nonsense.txt talks about exactly these issues.

> I see the point about continuous developement, that's why I'm using
> linux since 97, but I find interesting also the design of a stable
> infrastructure, that can be achieved. A data structure no longer in use
> by anyone, functions being unused for a long time, can be made harmless.
> Providing a binary compatibility makes recompiling all external modules
> (external to the official kernel I mean) not necessary, making life
> easier for any other person using linux (e.g. pwc module for my logitech
> pro 4000 webcam, every new kernel, new module compilation. Stability
> makes in this sense a real big improvement. An example of this care can

The right solution for this issue is simple:

Get the module into the kernel.

Not that e.g. your pwc module will be in kernel 2.6.12.

> be found in trolltech qt library. I use them since 1.x and it's a really
> good thing assuring the binary compatibility... of course they just
> screw it some day to day :) Everybody can be wrong.

Please check the facts:

QT 1 is _not_ binary compatible with QT 3.

There's a reason why the library changed the so-name...

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed