> The case in point for me is ATI's binary openGL accelerated drivers (fglrx) -
> these used inter_module_get() to communicate with the agp gart module, for
> obvious reasons - this AGP communication is essential to the functionality of
> the driver. No, I don't like ATI only having closed-source drivers any more
> than you, but given the extremely competetive nature of high end video card
> sales, I can see why they want to do it this way. The point is that now, as
> of 2.6.11-? or 2.6.12-? (not sure of the exact revision), the
> inter_module_get() functions has been removed, and the functionality can only
> be got (as far as I can tell) through use of the symbol_get() function.

you might have done some research on what happened before ranting away
like a crazy.....

AGP dropped the drm_agp interface in favour of the DRM modules calling
the AGP backend directly, a patch for the ATI drivers has been sailing
around for ages I even wrote one myself for someone I think but I've
lost it now ... all the AGP symbols needed are exported with
EXPORT_SYMBOL.

you might have noticed no-one else complaining around here which is
usually a good sign that there is nothing worth complaining about :-)

Dave.