Jörn Engel wrote:

Your definition of _unnecessary_ casts may differ from mine.
Basically, every cast is unnecessary, except for maybe one or two - if
that many.

Well we agree to differ then. In my experience casts are sometimes necessary, and are often less clumsy than the alternatives (such as unions). This is probably a generational thing, the fashion today is to make languages much more strongly typechecked than before.