> Check if the signature of a function and the return value type match.

Is this a task that is usually performed by a compiler?

> In many cases this mismatch will have no side-effects
> but in some cases it may lead to hard to locate problems

It is another software development challenge to find concrete
open issues there.

> - and for readability and code understanding it is also helpful
> when types match.

How would you like to check for compatible data types here?

> The output is a bit lengthy - not sure if that is too much
> but it seemed useful to me to see the non-matching types explicitly
> in the warning message.

How do you think about to import the result list into a database table?

> +if T1 != T2:
> +   print "%s:%s,%s WARNING: return of wrong type (%s != %s)" %
> (p[0].file,fn,p[0].line,T1,T2)

Is such a check a bit too simple?

Regards,
Markus