Apologies all.  Nic and I did not realise that an internal email had been
cross-posted to a public mail list (let alone one with strict email formatting
rules!), and were having a hard time understanding the context for the emails
we were receiving.

I have a certain amount of experience of asynchronous communication and
protocol design: we aren't novices in this area.  One would hope in the kind of
intra-machine protocol that we're using here that, if we know the sender is
halted, there should be a way of clearing the contents of the channel so that
the receiver can get hold of whatever has been put in to it.
Can tcflush() (or some similar API) be used to resolve our debugging scenario?

Regards,
Chris
--
Chris Purvis