Hi Mike,

On 07/05/15 05:17, Michael Turquette wrote:
> [...]
>> systems were 'easy' in this regard.

>>> The drivers are not the only thing. I want to leverage the existing
>>> cpufreq core infrastructure:
>>>
>>> * rate change notifiers
>>> * cpu hotplug awareness
>>> * methods to fetch frequency tables from firmware (acpi, devicetree)
>>> * other stuff I can't think of now
>>>
>>> So I do not think we should throw out the baby with the bath water. The
>>> thing that people really don't like about cpufreq are the governors IMO.
>>> Let's fix that by creating a list of requirements that we really want
>>> for scheduler-driven cpu frequency selection:
>>>
>>> 0) do something smart with scheduler statistics to create an improved
>>> frequency selection algorithm over existing cpufreq governors
>>>
>>> 1) support upcoming and legacy hardware, within reason
>>>
>>> 2) if a system exports a fast, async frequency selection interface to
>>> Linux, then provide a solution that doesn't do any irq_work or kthread
>>> stuff.  Do it all in the fast path
>>>
>>> 3) if a system has a slow, synchronous interface for frequency
>>> selection, then provide an acceptable solution for kicking this work to
>>> process context. Limit time in the fast path
>>>
>>> The patch set tries to tackle 0, 1 and 3. Would the inclusion of #2 make
>>> you feel better about supporting "newer" hardware with a fire-and-forget
>>> frequency selection interface?
>>
>> I should probably look at doing a x86 support patch to try some of this
>> out, I'll try and find some time to play with that.
>>
>> So two comments on the actual code:
>>
>> 1) Ideally these hooks would be called from places where we've just
>> computed the cpu utilization already. I understand this is currently not
>> the case and we need to do it in-situ.
>
> Are you thinking of placing the hook somewhere such as
> update_entity_load_avg?
>
> I did not choose that as a call site since I was worried that it would
> be too noisy; we can enter that function multiple times in the same
> pass through the scheduler.
>
> On the other hand if dvfs transitions are cheap for a platform then it
> might not be so bad to call it multiple times. For platforms where dvfs
> transitions are expensive we could store per-cpu new_capacity data
> multiple times and make sure that we only try to program the hardware as
> deferred work later on.
>

>> That said; it would be good to have the interface such that we pass the
>> utilization in; this would of course mean we'd have to compute it at the
>> call sites, this should be fine I think.
>
> I changed the code to do this but didn't have time to test it. Will send
> the patch with these changes tomorrow.
>

>> 2) I dislike how policy->cpus is handled; it feels upside down.
>
> I agree. It feels better to push the utilization from cfs instead of
> pull it from the frequency selection policy.
>
> I chose to do it this way since there isn't an obvious way to pass some
> private data to an irq_work callback, but I've overcome this with some

This new interface looks like what I was also proposing in the
discussion we had [1], are you going to send out something along this
line?

I think it would be good to have something like that. As Peter is
saying, together with Morten's/Dietmar's series, we could try to do
wiser decisions on when to trigger the whole machinery.

Thanks,

- Juri

[1] https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/eas-dev/2015-April/000129.html