> On May 29, 2015, at 11:10 PM, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
> <weig...@melag.de> wrote:
>
> Am 29.05.2015 um 05:31 schrieb Rob Landley:
>
> >> What's the big deal with having DTS/DTB under GPL ?
>>
>> One problem is that there's no such thing as "The GPL" anymore.
>
> There are different versions. The kernel source clearly states
> GPLv2 (I, personally, would prefer v3 to prevent Tivoization)
>
>> The Linux kernel and Samba can't share code anymore,
>
> Do they really need to ?
> One could ask, whether smb support should belong into the kernel
> at all (instead of, eg., going via FUSE or 9P), but that's an
> entirely different discussion.
>
>> even though they implement two ends of the same protocol, thanks to GPLv3.
>
> Samba folks made the decision to prevent Tivoization of their code.
> I fully agree with that decision, and I wish the same for the kernel.
and other think the GPLv3 is a mistake and is not commercially usable

It’s call freedom.

>> This seems to have badly damaged the long term viability of GPLv2,
>> which used to be synonymous with copyleft (category killer license)
>> and acted as a universal receiver because it was a terminal node in a
>> directed graph of license convertibility reducing most licensing
>> decisions to a simple binary "is it GPL compatible or not", which
>> greatly appealed to developers who aren't lawyers and don't want to
>> be.
>
> Well, such things happen, if people have different views. In that case
> those who want to prevent Tivoization on the one and those who wanna
> allow it on the other side.
>
> I rerely have the need to really copy-and-paste code from one project
> to another. When patching existing ones, I just stick to the upstream's
> license. And when starting new FOSS projects, I clearly choose (L)GPLv3,
> because I'm strictly against Tivoization.

This is your choice, this remove freedom too GPLv3.

> [...]
>> FUD, so they're mostly choosing one of the dozens of public domain
>> equivalent licenses like the various BSDs and MIT and ISC and Apache
>> that are equivalent except for "copy this license text exactly"
>> clauses that cause endless license bloat over time.
>
> It's not entirely FUD. The questions is NOT whether the original open
> code will be wiped out of the net or people simply dont work on it
> anymore. The main question here is, whether foss developers (often
> working for free) want to help people producing non-free stuff. BSD
> like to allow that, FSF folks dont. They just have different views on
> that matter. IMHO, BSD folks are just interested in getting back
> contributions, while FSF folks also have a broader political agenda. I,
> personally, share that agenda (even more: I strongly believe that
> software patents should be eradicated).
>
>> Personally I prefer public domain equivalent licenses like CC0 or
>> unlicense.org or my own "zero clause bsd", which DON'T require you to
>> copy specific license text verbatim into derived works.
>
> Well, I have an fundamentally different oppinion on that. If I publish
> my code for free, I dont want assist anybody in producing non-free
> stuff. (free like freedom, not free beer)
>
>> Most of this can be laid at the door of GPLv3.
>
> Because many folks don't wanna fight against Tivoization.
> I'll have to accept that, but I don't need to coorporate.
>
> > Android's "no gpl in userspace" policy is why they ripped out bluez
> > and wrote a replacement bluedroid from scratch.
>
> The really interesting question is: why do they have that policy ?
> Maybe because they aren't interested in *free* (as freedom) software,
> but just open source.
>
> Otherwise they'd have an strict policy of nothing proprietary in
> kernel space.
>
>> The bluez developers keep going "if we just
>> improve the code enough people will get over the license" (no really:
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/597293/) but their FAQ literally doesn't
>> specify _which_ GPL they're under: http://www.bluez.org/faq/common/
>> (Is it the one you can't use with kernel code, the one you can't
>> combine with samba code, or the or-later version that can't accept
>> code from either source into its next release?
>
> Why would one want to mix bluez code with the kernel or samba ?
>
>> Apple's great GPL purge
>> (http://meta.ath0.com/2012/02/05/apples-great-gpl-purge/)
>
> Apple belongs to the really bad guys, what Microsoft previously was.
> This is the StaSi. I have no mercy for them.
>
>> is why we have LLVM replacing gcc, they literally stopped xcode on the last
>> GPLv2 releases (gcc 4.2.1 and binutils 2.17) for over five years while
>> they sponsored work on a replacement.
>
> For xcode vs gcc, I dont really see any actual license _conflict_.
> This was an political action, and we should take it as that.
> Apple is against freedom. The least thing, we - the people - should
> do is not helping them, not giving them a single penny.

This kind of comment is not appropriate here, please keep it to your self next
time.

…

> --> free like freedom, not free beer.
>
>>> Important Notice: This message may contain confidential or privileged
>>> information. It is intended only for the person it was addressed to. If you
>>> are not the intended recipient of this email you may not copy, forward,
>>> disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. If
>>> you received this email in error please notify the sender by replying and
>>
>> P.S. some of us actually care about licenses being appropriate to what
>> they're applied to, and at least theoretically capable of being
>> honored. Your email footer may be very slightly undermining your
>> position here.
>
> This is just a dumb auto-generated footer, coming from my client's
> mail server over here ... I'm just too lazy for setting up an own
> MTA on my workstation. You can safely ignore that.
>
> --
> Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
> +49-151-27565287
> MELAG Medizintechnik oHG Sitz Berlin Registergericht AG Charlottenburg HRA
> 21333 B
>
> Wichtiger Hinweis: Diese Nachricht kann vertrauliche oder nur für einen
> begrenzten Personenkreis bestimmte Informationen enthalten. Sie ist
> ausschließlich für denjenigen bestimmt, an den sie gerichtet worden ist. Wenn
> Sie nicht der Adressat dieser E-Mail sind, dürfen Sie diese nicht kopieren,
> weiterleiten, weitergeben oder sie ganz oder teilweise in irgendeiner Weise
> nutzen. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, so
> benachrichtigen Sie bitte den Absender, indem Sie auf diese Nachricht
> antworten. Bitte löschen Sie in diesem Fall diese Nachricht und alle Anhänge,
> ohne eine Kopie zu behalten.
> Important Notice: This message may contain confidential or privileged
> information. It is intended only for the person it was addressed to. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this email you may not copy, forward,
> disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. If you
> received this email in error please notify the sender by replying and delete
> this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

Drop this for now on this is a public mailing list every one can receive the
e-mail.

If you are too lazy to remove do not post on the ML

Best Regards,
J.