On Monday 05 September 2005 14:56, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 14:52 +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > I'm not sure which module you're referring to, but the patch recommended
> > by the speedtouch people links to linux-atm, and does not require kernel
> > ATM or kernel pppoatm functionality, or use any kernel modules. I do
> > notice it does a system ("/sbin/modprobe pppoatm"); but this is
> > definitely not required; I'm speaking to you from a speedtouch DSL
> > connection, no module loaded or compiled in, no ATM support in the
> > kernel.
>
> Then you're not using the pppoatm plugin; you needn't bother applying
> that patch. You're probably just using the pseudo-tty hack.

Ahh yes, I was confusing the pppd module with pppoa3, a userspace ppp-over-atm
handler. Thanks for the correction.

Still, I don't feel this detracts from the point that client ATM DSL device
"drivers" can exist happily in userspace.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.