On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 10:36:57PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Harald Welte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Please consider mergin mainline, thanks.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Wouldn't it be better to first merge it in -mm and get some wider
> testing before pushing for mainline?

From my past experience (I'm involved in writing smartcard reader
drivers for some time now), users of smartcard readers tend to be
"typical corporate users" who won't run anything but the distribution
kernel.

I really doubt that the drivers would get much more testing in -mm than
they would in mainline.

Also, what is the point of putting entirely new code (no changes to
existing code!) into -mm?  I understand that changes to existing code
can inarguably benefit from some testing in -mm first.

But new drivers?  Where's the point?  The devices are not supported in
the existing kernel, so it cannot get worse by having a driver (even if
it still contains one or the other bug).

--
- Harald Welte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                      http://gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)