Partly because, with AT&T at least, 9600-baud service
over GSM is becoming a thing of the past, I need to
replace my dying Sony-Ericcson and Palm TX.  I'm
resigned to paying for a G3 data plan.  The Palm Pre,
even if AT&T picks it up (which one of the AT&T kiosks
in Northgate denies is going to happen), seems a
fading possibility.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of a high-end
Blackberry vs. the iPhone 3GS.  I'm unsure, from what
Google returns, what tools might be available for
Linux distributions for data transfer and syncing PIM
data.  I also can't easily tell if either Blackberry
or iPhone is packaged with tools for any o/s that will
maintain PIM data on a desktop, akin to Palm Desktop
for Windows or J-Pilot for Linux.

I run RHEL Workstation using an old version of fvwm,
so Gnome or KDE tools aren't likely to be available
for me.

And going OT, does anybody know if either Blackberry
or iPhone can migrate Palm data without using Outlook
or buying some commercial migration tool?  It looked
like iPhone doesn't, but I see contradictory
information about Blackberry.

If I did store my new phone's PIM data in Outlook,
does Open Office or something else equally easily
within reach offer a tool to maintain Outlook files?
Partly on the recommendation of this list, I've always
avoided Outlook, so I just don't know the basics
there.

Billy