As to the Gnome or KDE question, I have one data point that may be worth $.02 or less.

I run my law office on Ubuntu and OpenOffice, using Gnome. My first secretary was a Mac user and about a year into her employment I overheard her tell someone she used Windows at the office. She thought it was Windows because it was different from her Mac. She never had any problems navigating any of it.

My second secretary was a Windows user and, yes, you guessed it . . . she assumed she was using a Mac at "the office." She too had no difficulty with any of the navigation.

So as far as user interface goes, I think they are probably all so similar now that it won't make much difference what you use.

Erik

Steve McCarthy wrote:
Probably not what you are looking for, but since I am in a hotel in
China right now, I am using a thin client workstation in my room that
is branded MPRC and is accessing a central server somewhere outside
the room.   No CPU box, just keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Monitor has
some kind of network interface.

This system I'm on right now is going against a Windows Enterprise
server (I think that's what briefly appeared when I logged in.).
Depending what protocol it uses to communicate with the server, maybe
Linux could be used on the server side instead of Windows.

http://www.pkunity.com/english%20version/engindex.htm

Cheers from Beijing (9 deg F, brrr),

-Steve