For transformations on images in some standard format, ImageMagick is
often a good bet. If you are dealing with weird formats or arbitrary
binary files, pipes are your friend...just filter the specific chunk
of a byte stream you want to view and pipe that to od. You can do a
one-liner (or maybe a few lines, depending on the verbosity your
language of choice) in some scripting language to grab a "rectangular"
section and output that to stdout. That way your "selection" logic is
completely decoupled from od, so there's no need for extra features
added to it.

Given base, span, stride, and count, the python for a rectangle of
bytes would be something like:
chain([bytes.__getslice__(*row) for row in [(start, start+span) for
start in [base+offset for offset in [stride*row for row in
range(count)]]]])