On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 17:34, John Aldrich <jmaldr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> One of my co-workers gave me a relatively recent vintage laptop that was
> non-functional. He'd previously asked me about it saying it wouldn't finish
> starting up. Not having a chance to look at it, I gave him several options,
> including a dead motherboard, etc. He called me up the other day and offered
> it to me, on the proviso that I delete any personal data.
> Well, when I got it, I pretty quickly figured out that the problem was that
> the hard drive (or controller...not sure which -- can't test the HDD) was
> dead. I have ordered a new hard drive and when I get that in, if that fixes
> it, it will be better than new.
> I almost feel like I cheated my co-worker though, as the fix would have been
> pretty obvious when I looked at it if he'd brought it to me and that model
> of laptop is worth almost $600 at one on-line reseller.
> If you were in my shoes, would you call the co-worker and advise what you
> had done and offer to sell it for parts and (generous) labor or just keep it
> and have a nice laptop?

I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

If the hard drive fixes it, then I might be a bit sneaky - I'd
probably let him know that I had a spare hard drive,and  that when I
tested it with that it came up. Then let him decide how he wants to
proceed.

OTOH, if simply replacing the hard drive doesn't fix it, well, I think
you need to decide how much more work you want to put into it, but at
that point it's pretty much yours.

Kurt