On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 4:55 AM, Paul A. Franz, P.E. <p...@eucleides.com> wrote:
> >From the manual pages for top:
>
> "...three load  averages  for the system.  The load averages are the average
> number of process ready to run during the last 1, 5  and  15  minutes."
>
> What does "ready to run" mean?
>
> Sometimes I will see '2.15, 2.04, 2.02' yet the highest %CPU is only 0.4% and
> the
> machine seems slow. How can I determine the actual bottleneck? Must not be
> CPU usage.
> Maybe it is disk speed? More typically the load averages are something like
> '0.01,
> 0.10, 0.31'.

Paul -

I think it means processes that are running or trying to run, but may
or may not be making progress, due to waiting on disk/network IO, or
other resources.

Try looking at the output of 'iostat' (my fav - 'iostat -m -d 60
/dev/<devicename>')

Most likely you are waiting on network or disk IO.  Top also shows
"IOWAIT" as a percentage of CPU utilization, if this is high you are
waiting on data from disk or the network.

Hope that helps,
Nick

--
Nick Webb