Adam:

Have you looked at or tried ownCloud (http://www.owncloud.org)?  It might be a
little overkill since it does files in general and a shared calendar feature.
However, it does have media (music and image) playing functionality usable via
a browser.  It is PHP and MySQL based with SabreDAV for user management as well
for reference.

<shameless plug>
Linux ETC is looking into setting up some hosting services for such which would
be parallel to a DropBox style system, just Open Source based.  If this is of
interest to others, feel free to email me directly for some more details.
</shameless plug ;-) >

HTH.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly
to the environment by saving paper.