I've inherited some older gentoo instances and I've been asked to upgrade
ruby to the current patchlevel but I have no idea how to do that.
Documentation is coming up sparse or I don't know what to search on.

/etc/gentoo-release says Gentoo Base System release 2.1 if that helps.

I did find this doc on portage.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1

The few emerge commands I have run seem to indicate it's old and needs help.

I wonder if it's old enough that I'll need to do a major system upgrade to
do the ruby upgrade.

Basically I'm looking for something that's similar to "apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade" that can get me an updated system.

Thanks,

-adam