I am looking for a full screen image viewer that has many transition
effects (like fading one image into the next, or sliding the image from
a corner into the full screen).

An example of many transition effects is glslideshow from the
xscreensaver-gl package. But it is a background display software and not
an image viewer. It has awesome effects, but I still see my window
manager taskbar on screen while I want a full-screen to cover
everything.

I also tried:

gliv has a simple fade. It doesn't exit when complete but I can manually
stop it when done.

pqiv has a simple fade, but won't do the fade if the following
image is a different size.  It doesn't exit when finished which won't
work for me as I won't be able to easily know when to stop it
(especially when using the shuffle option).

gthumb  but version I have with my Ubuntu 12 LTS doesn't have the
transition effects (so I didn't try the transition effects). Sometimes
crashes at start (seg fault but I didn't research yet), but still works
other times.

feh doesn't appear to have any transition effects. It does have awesome
caption feature where it will superimpose a caption over the bottom of
the image -- each caption is a separate .txt file. (The --cycle-once
feature is good too.)

Imagemagick has lots of morphing and transition effect offerings, but
they seem to be too slow to use in real-time (I guess I could just
generate a video from it) and too much time involved for me to script it
up. (Any quick ideas would be appreciated though.)

I never used libreoffice for it as I don't know how to import a numerous
photos and I don't want to create the slideshow manually, one image at a
time.  I also didn't use imgv because wasn't in my package collection. I
did install variety but it crashed immediately and I didn't try to
troubleshoot it.

I also plan to play some audio but not in any sequence. I will just have
a shell script background the audio player.

Any suggestions of an easy full-screen image viewer software to try with
various transition effects?

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \