Dne 11.9.2017 v 12:55 Xen napsal(a):
Zdenek Kabelac schreef op 11-09-2017 12:35:

As thin-provisioning is about 'promising the space you can deliver
later when needed'  - it's not about hidden magic to make the space
out-of-nowhere.
The idea of planning to operate thin-pool on 100% fullness boundary is
simply not going to work well - it's  not been designed for that
use-case

I am going to rear my head again and say that a great many people would probably want a thin-provisioning that does exactly that ;-).

Wondering from where they could get this idea...
We always communicate clearly - do not plan to use 100% full unresizable thin-pool as a part of regular work-flow - it's always critical situation often even leading to system's reboot and full check of all volumes.

I mean you have it designed for auto-extension but there are also many people that do not want to auto-extend and just share available resources more flexibly.

For those people safety around 100% fullness boundary becomes more important.

I don't really think there is another solution for that.

I don't think BTRFS is really a good solution for that.

So what alternatives are there, Zdenek? LVM is really the only thing that feels "good" to us.

Thin-pool needs to be ACTIVELY monitored and proactively either added more PV free space to the VG or eliminating unneeded 'existing' provisioned blocks (fstrim, dropping snapshots, removal of unneeded thinLVs.... - whatever comes on your mind to make a more free space in thin-pool - lvm2 fully supports now to call 'smart' scripts directly out of dmeventd for such action.

It's illusion to hope anyone will be able to operate lvm2 thin-pool at 100% fullness reliable - there should be always enough room to give 'scripts' reaction time to gain some more space in-time - so thin-pool can serve free chunks for provisioning - that's been design - to deliver blocks when needed,
not to brake system

Are there structural design inhibitions that would really prevent this thing from ever arising?

Yes, performance and resources consumption.... :)

And there is fundamental difference between full 'block device' sharing
space with other device - compared with single full filesystem - you can't compare these 2 things at all.....

Regards

Zdenek