Dne 22. 09. 21 v 9:19 Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz napsal(a):

Hello.

Linux 5.10.67, glibc 2.34, lvm 2.03.13, udevd 246, simple init script
run on shutdown which does

vgchange -a n --sysinit

no other processes are running (just init, my script and vgchange),
vgstorage is vg on md raid 10 on 4 hdd disks.

it hangs with

+ /sbin/vgchange -a n --sysinit --verbose --debug
   Failed to find sysfs mount point
   No proc filesystem found: skipping sysfs filter
   No proc filesystem found: skipping multipath filter
   File locking initialisation failed.
   Deactivating logical volume vgstorage/lvhome.
   Removing vgstorage-lvhome (253:0)
   Deactivated 1 logical volumes in volume group vgstorage.

Note that running
vgchange -a n --sysinit --verbose --debug
on fully running system just works fine:

# vgchange -a n --sysinit --verbose --debug
   Deactivating logical volume vgstorage/lvhome.
   Removing vgstorage-lvhome (253:0)
   Deactivated 1 logical volumes in volume group vgstorage.
   0 logical volume(s) in volume group "vgstorage" now active
#

so I've restarted udevd just before vgchange call in my script and it
works.

Other test:

fully running system
# udevd --version
246
# killall udevd
# vgchange -a n --sysinit --verbose --debug
   Deactivating logical volume vgstorage/lvhome.
   Removing vgstorage-lvhome (253:0)
   Deactivated 1 logical volumes in volume group vgstorage.
and hangs

Why is udevd needed for vgchange there? It wasn't needed to deactivate
vg before AFAIK.

strace

Hi

It does look like the initial detection of running udev within lvm2 code is doing something wrong.

It should recognize there is no udev running and behave like if --noudevsync would be given.

I'll check what has changed.

Regards

Zdenek