This is my 1st post to this group.

I'm not aware of anywhere I can search for "known issues" or similar ...short of opening each archive  and searching it.

(happy to be corrected on this)

I have a desktop Linux box (Debian Sid) with a clutch of disks in it (4 or 5)  and have mostly defined each disk as a volume group.

Now a key point is *some of the disks are NAS grade disks.* This means they do NOT reallocate bad sectors silently. They report IO errors and leave it to the OS (i.e. the old fashion way of doing this)

One of the disks (over 10 years old) had started reporting errors. I ran fsck with -cc but it never found the issue. In the end I bough a new disk and did:

 * *vgextend* -- to add the new disk
 * *pvmove*   -- move volumes off "bad" disk
 * *vgreduce* -- remove bad disk from group

While the pvmove is running I had plenty of time to think....

The filesystem in the LV on the "bad disk" is now moving to the "new disk"  ...had the fsck managed to mark bad blocks, these would be in terms of the LV in which it sat and would be meaningless on  the new disk.

Then *the penny dropped!* The only component that has a view on the real physical disk is lvm2 and in particular the PV ...so if anybody can mark(and avoid) badblocks it's the PV...so I should be looking for something akin to the -cc option of fsck , applied to a PV command?

Googling around I see lots of ill-informed comments by people who's never seen a read "bad block" and assume all modern disks solve this for you.

--

Graeme