Hello Tim

LVM is a sort of layer and it can reside on any substrate

So go for raid 60 and avoid using too many drives for each RAID 6
Ideally I would use maximum  6x drives for each RAID 6 to next be stack on RAID
10 with the others

bear in  mind that there is a calculation about guaranteed failure of given
RAID rebuild process when you exceed a certain amount of terabytes capacity to
rebuild

That is why enterprise storages with lot of terabytes are always subdivided in
the needed amount of RAID 5 or RAID 6 blocks to be next stack on RAID 50 or
RAID 60

At recuperodatiraidfastec.it we have seen so many cases of failed rebuilds due
to leak of calculation before implementation

Kind regards

Roberto Gini
CTO @ https://www
RecuperoDatiRAIDFAsTec.it