On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Andriy Tymkiv wrote:
> I have been looking at the CVS version of linux 2.6 kernel
> from :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/linux-m68k/cvsroot repository.
>
> I have compared it with the native linux kernel from www.kernel.org.
> I have figured out that the m68k-cvs kernel changes some *really* fundamental
> and high level parts of the kernel like the sched.h, forks, task structures,
> etc.

BTW, the easiest way to compare is to look at
http://linux-m68k-cvs.ubb.ca/~geert/linux-m68k-2.6.x-merging/.

While I really don't have much time these days to work on Linux/m68k, I do my
best to merge with new releases, fix simple issues, and keep the patch queue
up-to-date (and try to flush it to Linus/Andrew from time to time ;-)

> Does any body know the history behind these changes?
>
> Is there any documents that explain these change?

3 sources of information:
  - The comments in the patches in my queue (cfr. above). However, for very old
    stuff they are quite terse
  - CVS commit logs (unless the change predates the existence of our CVS
    server)
  - Linux/m68k mailing list archives

> Is it possible to run m68k kernel without these changes?

Probably, some people tried in the past. But in that case you have to make some
other changes first.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds
-