ARM, ARM64, UniCore32 define UL() as a shorthand of _AC(..., UL).
More architectures may introduce it in the future.

UL() is arch-agnostic, and useful. So let's move it to

Currently, <asm/memory.h> must be included to use UL().
It pulls in more bloats just for defining some bit macros.

I posted V2 one year ago.

The previous posts are:

At that time, what blocked this series was a comment from
David Howells:
  You need to be very careful doing this.  Some userspace stuff
  depends on the guard macro names on the kernel header files.

Looking at the code closer, I noticed this is not a problem.

See the following line.

scripts/ rips off _UAPI prefix from guard macro names.

I ran "make headers_install" and confirmed the result is what I expect.

So, we can prefix the include guard of include/uapi/linux/const.h,
and add a new include/linux/const.h.

Masahiro Yamada (5):
  linux/const.h: prefix include guard of uapi/linux/const.h with _UAPI
  m68k: rename UL() to TO_UL()
  linux/const.h: move UL() macro to include/linux/const.h
  linux/const.h: refactor _BITUL and _BITULL a bit
  linux/const.h: move BIT(_ULL) to linux/const.h for use in assembly

 arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h       |  6 ------
 arch/arm64/include/asm/memory.h     |  6 ------
 arch/m68k/mm/init.c                 |  6 +++---
 arch/unicore32/include/asm/memory.h |  6 ------
 include/linux/bitops.h              |  3 +--
 include/linux/const.h               | 12 ++++++++++++
 include/uapi/linux/const.h          | 13 ++++++++-----
 create mode 100644 include/linux/const.h

the body of a message to
More majordomo info at