Hi Vinod,

thanks for your support.

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:07:06AM +0530, Vinod wrote:
> On 22-05-18, 23:28, Angelo Dureghello wrote:
> > Hi Vinod,

> > > ok

> > > Sure you should send the patches and folks who care about fsl driver
> > > would look it up and test

> > > well since you know the IP you would make a better guess on that, best is
> > > to check register sets in drivers
> > >
> > I fixed all the discussed points.
> >
> > Actaully mcf-edma (ColdFire) has a slightly different register set (due to
> > 64
> > channels in place of 16 of fsl-edma) and, for the same reason, a different
> > DMA interrupt structure.
> > Also, i simplified some parts of the driver considering ColdFire (mcf)
> > big endian architecture.
> >
> > So i would send a rev 2 patch with all the fixes, than eventually in a
> > second
> > phase i may try to create some common code, but at least we have the
> > ColdFire
> > DMA. What do you think ?
>
> wouldn't it be easier to just make common parts and then add edma specific
> code.
> If I was doing this it would be my apprach and that way code edma specific
> will
> be lesser and faster review

I tried to set up a common module, but couldn't reach any good point.

Issues are:
1) Edma register set between 32 and 64ch is similar, but some offsets/names
are not matching between the 2 variants, some registers names are swapped over
the reg. address range,
2) interrupt numbers and scheme is still different, handler implementation
comes
different,
3) as a corollary of the above, all the common functions that needs to access
edma registers should use same structure pointers. I could use a union
someway but points where register are accessed are many, and i should
differentiate the access in each case, referencing to a different structure
in each case.

If you have any idea on how i could reach a common module, with 2 different
registers set, that's welcome.
I stay on the thought that a separate 64-channel module is the best
way to go here.

Currently, as Freescale "edma" variants, i know:

Vybrid VFXXX           32ch   DMA multiplexer   reg.set 1
Kynetis K70 (CortexM4) 32ch   DMA multiplexer   reg.set 1
imx8xx (coming)        32ch   no multiplexer    reg.set 1
MPC57xxk               32ch   DMA multiplexer   reg.set 1
ColdFire mcf5441x      64ch   no multiplexer    reg.set 2 <---

There may me other cpu using this fsl edma module but not in my knowledge
right now.

So i still think at the end, to have 2 separate drivers for the 32 and 64
variant is good and probably the most ordered/clean solution.

Regards,
Angelo