On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 5:02 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <ge...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> Hi Arnd,
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/769468/ wrote:
> >  For example, the m68k architecture uses a number of internal APIs that no
> > other
> > architecture needs at this point; removing that architecture would enable
> > removing
> > the APIs as well
>
> and
>
> > Ted Ts'o suggested that an ultimatum could be made: either the m68k
> > architecture
> > stops using the old, deprecated timer API (for example) within one year or
> > it is
> > removed from the kernel.
>
> Which APIs are these exactly?

The example I gave was GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS on m68, which is
supported on most but not all machines there. This is also missing on
a couple of others (ia64 at least, not sure what else). Another one would
be having CLKDEV_LOOKUP without COMMON_CLK. This one is not
a problem for m68k but is for a couple of ARM and MIPS platforms
that have not yet been converted to COMMON_CLK.

There are probably a couple more like this. I don't actually see any that
are /only/ used by m68k, but there are some interfaces that would be
good to stop using overall to keep things simpler.

       Arnd