On 20180629 01:42, Michael Schmitz wrote:
Hi Geert,

Am 28.06.18 um 21:25 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven:

Do we really need the warning?
Once the parsing is fixed doing 64-bit math, it does not matter for
Linux anymore.
Well, irony of this is: In my case the RDB has been created on a machine
with a native OS. So Linux warns me about something I already did so on
the native OS without any warning. In this case AmigaOS 4.0.
Exactly.

So moving a disk partitioned under AmigaOS 4.0 to a system running an
older version of AmigaOS can fail miserably. Not a Linux issue.
Linux also doesn't warn about disks with GPT failing to work on old MSDOS.

Would MSDOS recognize the GPT partition as 'probably FAT', and attempt
to use it?

I believe it would fail to mount it and suggest formatting it. The key is to fail the mount and not risk damage to the data on it.

Let me clarify: what exactly would the kernel option allow? When to use it?

Whether to use it if safe (on Linux). But whatever Linux does (after
this patch), access will go to the right area of the disk (as specified
by the RDB) so Linux won't any longer stomp on anything that would have
mattered to 32 bit disk drivers. So it really should be safe.

Martin pointed out something privately about RDBs I'd forgotten over the archeological eras gone past. The RDB values are all 32 bit unsigned longs. That means as long as they are properly promoted AND the file system does not barf from a gross overfeeding disks up to about 2^128 bytes can be supported. But you need a new uint128_t datatype. So for Amigas or Linux the real limitation is the data type and significance that flows between the RDB parser and the file system. That is the value that has to be considered. Then if the filesystem somewhere inside coughs up a hairball over some internal overflow or other and cannot accept say a full uint64_t maximum value of bytes with grace and polish it should error out when it sees an incoming disk positions off its internally acceptable range.

This means that any errors and failures to mount should lie with the RDB Parser, the filesystem, the device driver, and any intervening code between the three. The RDBs can express a value far greater than the number of atoms estimated to exist in the observable universe. So RDBs won't ever need a change for disk size considerations. The parser and filesystems probably and possibly, respectively, will.

Error out and don't mount disks or partitions that are outside the size range your element of the datapath from disk to user's program can handle at the first place this can be detected. It's the polite thing to do to a user's data rather than the Maxine Waters thing to do.

{^_^}