On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:34:08 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Monday 23 February 2009 00:56:40 Trent Piepho wrote:

> > > I agree, these are not controls.
> > >
> > > There is an option to use the current status field. There are enough
> > > bits free, that's not the problem. But the spec is explicit about the
> > > fact that these bits apply to the current input only, and that's not
> > > true for these new bits. We can change the spec in this regard of
> > > course, but then you have to document each bit of the status field
> > > whether it is valid for the current input only, or also if this isn't
> > > the current input. It's all a bit messy.
> > >
> > > In addition, there are 4 reserved fields here and it is the first time
> > > in a very long time that we actually need one. And after all, that's
> > > why they are there in the first place.
> >
> > v4l2_capability: 5 of 32 cap bits left, 4 reserved words
> > v4l2_fmtdesc: 31 flag bits, 4 reserved words
> > v4l2_buffer: 22 flags bits, 1 reserved word
> > v4l2_framebuffer: 25 cap bits, 26 flag bits, no reserved words
> > v4l2_input: 4 reserved words
> > v4l2_output: 4 reserved words
> > v4l2_tuner: 27 cap bits, 4 reserved words
> >
> > > Trent does have a point that we need to be careful not to add fields
> > > without a good reason. Choosing option 1 fits the bill, and the
> > > orientation also fits the 'status' name. Only the sensor mount
> > > orientation is not really a status. Although with some creative naming
> > > we might come close :-)
> > >
> > > Hmm, let's see:
> > >
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_HAS_SENSOR_INFO        0x00000010
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_SENSOR_HFLIPPED        0x00000020
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_SENSOR_VFLIPPED        0x00000040
> > >
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_HAS_PIVOT_INFO 0x00001000
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_0                0x00000000
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_90               0x00002000
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_180              0x00004000
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_270              0x00006000
> > > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_MSK              0x00006000
> >
> > One of my other points what the controls include meta-data.  What happens
> > when someone has an orientation sensor with 45 degree resolution?  A
> > control would just change the step size from 90 to 45.  Existing software
> > would already know what it means.  With this method you have to add:
> >
> > V4L2_IN_ST_HAS_PIVOT_45_INFO        0x00008000
> > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_45         0x00010000
> > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_135                0x00012000
> > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_225                0x00014000
> > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_315                0x00016000
> > V4L2_IN_ST_PIVOT_45_MSK             0x00016000
> >
> > Interpreting the pivot bits becomes more fun now.  Existing software
> > can do nothing with these extra bits.  It can tell the user nothing.
>
> These bits deal exclusively with the sensor position and for the sole
> purpose of deciding whether the image has to be rotated in hard/software to
> get it the right-way up. In most cases this is limited to rotating 180
> degrees, but omap has some memory management tricks to do the 90/270 degree
> cases as well.

> This is not the same as having a full positioning 2D or 3D system in a
> [...]

We are trying to address 2 different situations using the same approach. After
thinking more about it, I suspect that we need two separate approaches.

For the static info that a sensor is mounted on a different position on a
notebook case, for example. The same camera could be mounted on different
position for different hardwares and kernel will never know for sure, if the
vendor didn't care to change the USB ID for the rotated camera.

All kernel could provide is a HINT info, for some known cases, but it should be
possible to override this in userspace. For this case, the better userspace api
seems to be by using some flags at v4l2_input.

However, I'm starting to agree with one of the Hans de Goede opinions that this
information should be stored at userspace, since, on a large amount of cases,
like surveillance mounted cameras, or some hardware with a fixed commercial
webcam, like an ATM machine, this info is not stored anyware. The only way is
to allow users to edit a file pointing the webcam orientation for that device.

The second case is something like a gravity sensor. This can provide us 2D/3D
angles with 90 degrees stepping, but I don't doubt that more sophisticated
cameras will start to appear, having a more precise mechanism, to be used by
applications that could compensate a 2D/3D rotation on software.

In the trivial case of a 90 degrees step, IMO, the event interface seems to be
the better approach. However, if we really want to do motion compensation in
software, the only alternative is to have this information together with the
streaming meta-data.

Cheers,
Mauro