On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 02:35:00PM -0500, CityK wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
> > I'll start with what worked.
> >
> > ... [test results of BER and UNC under varying configurations ] ...
> >

> Steven Toth wrote:
> > I think CityK confirmed that the nxt2004 driver statistics are
> > probably bogus so I doubt you're going to get your 115's running with
> > BER 0 regardless, which is unfortunate.
>
> FWIW:
>
> I'm not seeing any UNC, just the BER (which seems consistent to most,
> but not all, of David's results with varying configurations).
>
> Presently (and a situation that is unlikely to change), I don't have an
> older kernel built/installed with which I can test/confirm, but from
> memory, IIRC, I believe that it must have been from around ~2.6.22 that
> I recall error free femon output.

I've used 2.6.27.17 in most my testing, either with stock drivers or
with drivers from Mercurial.  I tried 2.6.26, .25 and .24 on Saturday,
but it made no difference.  After seeing this message, I tried 2.6.22
and .21 yesterday (Sunday).  Again, it made no difference.  I think
the ATSC 115s are just going to always report at least some level of
BER.

Anyway, here are the other results of more testing over the weekend.

I tried an ATSC 115 with a PVR 250 in my desktop system.  Like with my
MythTV backend, the 115 digital recordings were slightly corrupted
when the x50 was active.  The corruption appeared to be a little less
frequent, though.  Instead of some corruption occuring every couple of
seconds, it was more like every 4 or 5 seconds.

Both my desktop and current MythTV backend are AMD systems with Nvidia
chipsets.  My old backend, which didn't exhibit the corruption
problem, was a P4 system with an Intel chipset.

I can't get any 115 to work in my current backend without an x50
installed and connected to cable.  I tried a single 115 is every slot.
I tried older kernels.  I tried multiple 115s in combinations.  I
tried a 115 with an Audigy sound card I had.  In every case, the 115
reports excessive BER and UNC and capture of any digital stream is
almost impossible.  The 115s will behave this way until I install at
least one x50 card and connect it the cable.

I even tried the same 115 I had used not more than a month ago with
the same motherboard and graphics card as my desktop.  Only the case,
power suuply and disks are now different.  Could there be some kind of
short on the motherboard or case that could case this behavior?

I remembered I had a DVICO FusionHDTV5 lying around.  I don't use that
card much because, in my past experience, the cx88 driver doesn't play
as well with the ivtv driver as the saa7134 driver.  See below for an
example (*).

The HDTV5 does report 0 for bER:

status SCVYL | signal fd43 | snr 22a0 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fcde | snr 2292 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fd87 | snr 22b7 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fd65 | snr 22a4 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fd65 | snr 22a4 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fd43 | snr 2292 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fda9 | snr 22c5 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fe34 | snr 22c1 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fe11 | snr 22bc | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK
status SCVYL | signal fda9 | snr 22a0 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
FE_HAS_LOCK

In addition, the HDTV5 does not have any corruption when the x50s are
active.  I ran one test with the HDTV5, one 115 and two x50s.  The
HDTV5 didn't show corruption while the 115 did.  To be sure it wasn't
the content, I stopped the digital recordings and restarted them so
the cards would be swapped.  The corruption stayed with the 115.

To summarize, I have two problems.

First, the 115s show corruption when an x50 is active.  This occurs on
two differnt systems with Nvidia chipsets, but did not occur in a
system with an Intel chipset.  An HDTV in the same system does not
show the corruption problem.

Second, the 115s apparently can't receive a clean signal unless theer
is a x50 installed and connected.

(*) About half the time I boot with the HDTV5 and x50 cards, the x50
tuners don't work.  The x50s will only record static until I manually
unload and reload the tuner modules.

David
--
David Engel