kilg...@banach.math.auburn.edu wrote:
Just one comment. IIRC, I was the one who mentioned the eeePC, having recently bought one. I mentioned it, not because I disagree with anything else you write here, but because, in fact, I agree. Frankly, I think the use of the 2.6.21 kernel in the eeePC is somewhat perverse and just a little bit weird.

Essentially, the eeePC and the other Intel-based netbooks are not some kind of exotic hardware platforms, which might provide an explanation or excuse for using some "specially crafted" but old kernel. No. In fact, the eeePC and almost all the other current netbooks are just a new (and attractive) combination of some fairly standard types of hardware. Practically every hardware component in them is better supported in more recent kernels, with the possible exception of a wireless device which may not yet be supported in any kernel, new or old. Therefore, instead of worrying about whether to support and provide indulgence for apparently inexplicable behavior, let us hope that a decision of this nature will serve as a needed message.
just as another data point
i have an eee 900 and i run gentoo on it
i have 2.6.27 running just fine (wireless and all)

i know gentoo is a little too hardcore for most people
but living with a distro kernel forever is not a real requirement
--
simon