On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> in kernel. That means that we shouldn't add a changeset that we know that it
> will break a device, except if we are committing, in the same patch series,
> another patch fixing it.

I wouldn't even do that.  If you know the patch has a problem with it, fix
the patch.  Submitting a patch know you has problems is inconsiderate to
other developers.  They are going to waste their time looking at a broken
patch and finding the bugs, only to discover they've already been found and
all their effort is pointless.

It also makes it hard for those to work on older kernels, e.g. for embedded
devices, and need to backport features.  You find that patch that adds the
feature you need to backport, only to later discover problems that, after
much effort, are traced to the backported patch.  Turns out the problems
were known with the patch was committed and already fixed, but how were you
supposed to know that?