Mauro Carvalho Chehab schrieb:
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:46:34 -0400
Andy Walls <awa...@radix.net> wrote:

and integrating it into the existing v4l docbook,
I'm not sure of the value in that.

The DVB conversion to docbook allows us to add it at the kernel docbook docs
(probably, not the entire doc, but the parts that describe the internal kernel
API).

<opinion>
Implmenting something to multiple (or multi-volume) specifications is
indeed a pain, but it makes documentation maintenance easier as the task
is easily divided along areas of personnel expertise.  Assuming the rate
of documentation maintencance does not rapidly increase, keeping
documentation maintenace simple is paramount.

If you take a look on V4L docbooks, it is divided into multiple volume files:

biblio.sgml          pixfmt-nv16.sgml                 vidioc-enumstd.sgml
common.sgml          pixfmt-packed-rgb.sgml           vidioc-g-audioout.sgml
compat.sgml          pixfmt-packed-yuv.sgml           vidioc-g-audio.sgml
controls.sgml        pixfmt-sbggr16.sgml              vidioc-g-crop.sgml
dev-capture.sgml     pixfmt-sbggr8.sgml               vidioc-g-ctrl.sgml
dev-codec.sgml       pixfmt-sgbrg8.sgml               vidioc-g-enc-index.sgml

If we merge DVB there, for sure we should break it into some files, and maybe
even having they on separate directories.

Also multiple specifcations (or volumes) clearly group requirements into
large chunks of "I don't care about that volume" and "I do care about
this volume".  Combining the V4L2 and DVB spec into one volume would
probably be a strategic error for some tactical advantage in dealing
with hybrid devices.

This is a good point.
On my opinion, it seems good to merge the docs. This is just my 2 cents.

If we merge both, IMO, we should break the doc into two parts, being one for
analog and another for digital, with an introductory text with the hybrid
devices glue.

If we decide not to merge, we can at least try to follow the same model on both
documents, and link a common sgml introductory text for hybrid devices to be
added on both documents.

</opinion>

Cheers,
Mauro

What about a two step aproach for each chapter?

- doing work on *contents* with developers inside linuxtv dvb wiki on standard wiki page
- convert wiki text to docbook (textformatting stuff) by someone else.

By doing so, the work load would be split into two independend topics, work on contents in wiki and afterwards textformatting of that agreed contents without help of developers afterwards and supplying to ML as patch. If we would do so, one would prepare a wiki page with the actual contents of one chapter of the current api and set a deadline for editing that page. Developers should edit contents (easy and fast on wiki) until deadline. It would improve greatly the speed of that work.

Keeping the logical structure of the document would also allow to have the "I don't care about that volume" feature as well to merge the decoder of the FF cards into V4l2 mpeg decoder section.

Introduction
       What you need to know (remove)
       History (as short as possible)
       Overview
       Linux DVB Devices
       API include files
DVB Frontend API (add a lot of missing stuff here.)
       Frontend Data Types
       Frontend Function Calls
DVB Demux Device
       Demux Data Types
       Demux Function Calls
DVB Video Device (merge with v4l2 mpeg decoders)
DVB Audio Device (merge with v4l2 mpeg decoders)
DVB CA Device
       CA Data Types
DVB Network API
       DVB Net Data Types