On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 06:52 -0700, Corey Taylor wrote:
> > Andy,
>
> > I am noticing an improvement in pixelation by setting the bufsize to
> > 64k. I will monitor over the next week and report back. I am running 3
> > HVR-1600s and the IRQs are coming up shared with the USB which also
> > supports my HD PVR capture device. Monday nights are usually one of
> > the busier nights for recording so I will know how well this holds up.
>
> > Thanks for the tip!
>
> > Brandon
>
> Hi Andy and Brandon, I too tried various different bufsizes as suggested and
> I still see very noticeable pixelation/tearing regardless of the setting.
>
> I even upgraded my motherboard this past weekend to an Asus AM2+ board with
> Phenon II X3 CPU. Still the same problems with the card in a brand new
> setup.
>
> I also tried modifying the cx18 source code as Andy suggested and that
> made more debug warning show up in my syslog, but still did not
> resolve the issue. Haven't tried this yet with the new motherboard
> though.
>
> Is it possible that this card is more sensitive to hiccups in the
> signal coming from the cable line? Or interference from other close-by
> cables and electronic equipment?
>
> When recording/watching Live TV through MythTV, I see that ffmpeg is
> constantly outputting various errors related to the video stream. I
> can post those here if you think it's relevant.
>
> Shoud I just return this card and get one with a different chipset? Or
> do you think driver updates can solve the issue?
>
> I'm happy to hold on to this card if it means I can contribute in some
> way to fixing the problem, if it's fixable : )

Corey and Brandon,

I found a race condition between the cx driver and the CX23418 firmware.
I have a patch that mitigates the problem here:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18/rev/9f5f44e0ce6c

I think the final form of the patch could be better.  However, this
patch essentially eliminated any artifacts I was getting playing back
digital TV.  I also had positive results running mplayer without the
"-cache" command line for both digital and analog captures.

I haven't tested on a single processor machine, nor in a multicard
setup, but things looked good enough that I thought it ready for test by
others.

Let me know if it helps or not.

Regards,
Andy