On Monday 30 March 2009 16:34:42 Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With reference to the mail-thread started by Sakari on Resizer driver
> interface,
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=123628392325716&w=2
>
> I would like to bring some issues and propose changes to adapt such
> devices under V4L2 framework. Sorry for delayed response on this
> mail-thread, actually I was on vacation.
>
> As proposed by Sakari, I do agree with the approach of having V4L2
> interface for memory-to-memory operation of the ISP (like resizer and
> previewer), but I would like to bring some important aspects/issues here
> -
>
>       - Some drawbacks of V4L2-buf layer framework for such kind of devices
>       - Need for backward compatibility.
>
> Drawbacks for V4L2-Buf layer -
> -----------------------------
>
> 1} In case of resizer driver, the input buffer will always be different
> than output buffer.
>
> In case of Mmapped buffer there is no issue, since driver allocates
> maximum of input and output. User doesn't have control on this, although
> there is loss of memory from system point of view.
>
> In case of User Pointer Exchange, User would expect and may allocate
> different sizes of buffers for input and output which V4L2-buf layer
> doesn't support with single queue. And to address this, I think here we
> need to have either of following approaches -
>
>       - Use two separate buffer queues, one for input and another for output.
>       - Or hack the driver for v4l2_buffer, internally using different buffer
> params for input and output. [Not recommended]
>
> Please note that sometimes application receives buffers from another
> driver or from some codecs engine that's why input and output buffer will
> never be of same size.
>
> 2) V4L2-buf layer doesn't support IOMEM coming from user application.
> Just to give low level details about this -
>
> When application tries to configure for 'V4L2_MEMORY_USERPTR' with buffer
> coming from another driver (which is iomampped), then QUEUEBUF ioctl will
> fail from 'videobuf_iolock' --> videobuf_dma_init_user_locked -->
> get_user_pages.
>
> In 'get_user_pages' it checks for IOMEM flag and returns error, which is
> expected behavior from Kernel point of view. We are trying to map buffer
> which is already mapped to kernel by another driver.
>
> One thing I am not able to understand, how nobody came across such
> use-case which is very common. And to address this issue we need to add
> support for IOMEM in V4L2-buf layer.
>
> NOTE: Currently both of these issues have been addressed as a custom
> implementation for our internal use case.
>
> Backward Compatibility -
> -----------------------
>
> This is an important aspect, since similar hardware modules are available
> on Davinci as well as on OMAP and their driver interface is completely
> different.
>
> On Davinci, resizer driver is supported through plane char driver
> [...]

FYI: I have very little time to look at this for the next 2-3 weeks. As you
know I'm working on the last pieces of the v4l2_subdev conversion for 2.6.30
that should be finished this week. After that I'm attending the Embedded
Linux Conference in San Francisco.

But I always thought that something like this would be just a regular video
device that can do both 'output' and 'capture'. For a resizer I would
expect that you set the 'output' size (the size of your source image) and
the 'capture' size (the size of the resized image), then just send the
frames to the device (== resizer) and get them back on the capture side.