Hello Devin,

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:10:49 -0400
Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmuel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only suggestion I might make is that perhaps you should check the
> dmesg and expicitly bail out if the device is detected as an
> em2874/em2884, since in that case this script *definitely* will not
> work and, since microcode is stored on the chip, corruption of the
> eeprom (such as attempting to load an em2882 eeprom content onto an
> em2884) will brick the board with no path for software-based recovery
> (you will not be able to run the tool again).

I don't have any em2874/em2884 device and it seems very difficult
(at least where I live) to find one.

So, fell free to send me your dmesg and I will implement such
validation. Or if you prefer, patches are welcome too.

On the other hand, since this script already implement several
suggestions (validations, warnings and backup) from you, hermann, Andy
and Mauro IMO (if everyone agree) could be a good idea to commit it and
new validations or improvements should come through patches.

Thanks,
Douglas