On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:53:00 +0300
vas...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mche...@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > The issue I see is that the V4L drivers are meant to support real devices.
> > This
> > driver that is a loopback for some userspace driver. I don't discuss its
> > value
> > for testing purposes or other random usage, but I can't see why this should
> > be
> > at upstream kernel.
> >
> > So, I'm considering to add it at v4l-dvb tree, but as an out-of-tree driver
> > only. For this to happen, probably, we'll need a few adjustments at v4l
> > build.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mauro
> >

> Mauro,
>
> ok, let it be out-of -tree driver, this is also good as I do not have
> to adapt the driver to each new kernel, but I want to argue alittle
> about Inclusion of the driver into upstream kernel.
>
>  Main reason for inclusion to the kernel is ease of use, as I
> understand installing the out-of-tree driver for some kernel needs
> downloading of the whole v4l-dvb tree(am I right?).
>
>  Loopback gives one opportunities to do many fun things with video
> streams and when it needs just one step to begin using it chances that
> someone will do something useful with the driver are higher.

I, as a target user of vloopback, agree that having it in mainline
would be really handy. Think that with a stable vloopback solution,
with device detection and parameter setting, we can really make PTP
digicams as webcams[1] useful, right now this is tricky and very
uncomfortable on kernel update.

>  Awareness that there is such thing as loopback is also. If the driver
> is in upstream tree - more people will see it and more chances that
> more people will participate in loopback getiing better.
>
>  vivi is an upstream driver :-)

Even vivi can be seen as a particular case of a vloopback device, can't
it?

Regards,
   Antonio

[1]